OH YEAH!!! Cheese Filled Gluten Free Bosco Sticks are in the house!!!
I am in love with these Bosco Sticks!! It took me a while to venture into making these, figuring that someone else would beat me to it.But hey they haven’t so woohooo here we are.
I can’t be the only one that has been tempted by the off plan version of these bosco sticks, but we Trim Healthy Mama’s no longer have to stare at those off plan sticks and consider going off plan. (I’m guilty of those thoughts myself)
These do take a bit of a time commitment to make and a small amount of forethought. I normally keep my cheese sticks in the freezer because with only 2 of us I don’t go through them fast enough. But if you are not like me and keep yours in the fridge it only takes about 30 minutes in the freezer for those bad boys to be ready to go.
You could probably get more servings from this recipe if you cut the cheese sticks in 1/2 and they would be like little cheese filled rolls with a neat surprise inside.
When I was taste testing these I dipped them in some leftover spaghetti sauce, that had ground turkey in it for my protein source. Or you could use an on plan jarred pizza sauce with a bit of added meat for the protein.
These bosco sticks would make a great party food or even a good on the go snack since the bread does have a bit of protein along with the cheese… pair it up with a Baby Frap from the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook and your good to go!
- 12 each string cheese (I used low fat)
- ¾ cup egg white
- 1 whole egg (large)
- 1 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Psyllium Husk, whole (I used the THM Psyllium Husks)
- ¼ cup Oat Fiber (I used THM Oat Fiber)
- 2 cups THM Baking Blend
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese (green can)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freeze Cheese Sticks for 30-45 minutes prior to assembly. This helps them to warm as the bread sticks are baking and allows the cheese to be gooey instead of separated.
- place egg whites, egg, psyllium husks, apple cider vinegar and greek yogurt into a large mixing bowl, I use a kitchen aide like this.
- Whisk until combined and allow to sit for 3-4 minutes.
- In a smaller bowl combine Baking Blend, oat fiber and seasonings to bowl, whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients to wet in 3rds, letting dry ingredients incorporate before adding the next third.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove cheese sticks from freezer and packaging. With wet hands (this is important) form a pattie of dough around cheese stick and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeating until all cheese sticks are covered.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Brush tops with garlic butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.