Chicken Cacciatore Crock Pot or Instant Pot
This healthy version of classic chicken cacciatore is easy to make in your Crock Pot or Instant Pot. It is sure to be a healthy family favorite for years to come.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes. Your purchases bless our family and help to fund recipe development and the activities of this blog. Thank You!!
Making classic chicken cacciatore in your Instant Pot makes this a quick, easy and healthy meal that is ready to serve in under an hour. Who wouldn’t love that?
We tend to eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast around here. Why?
- Because it’s normally on sale at one of the local groceries.
- It will work for any meal type from the Trim Healthy Mama Plan.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast is a Versatile ingredient with a lot of recipes to choose from.
Like this One Pot Cafe Chicken.
On to Chicken Cacciatore.
I converted a crock pot recipe for this chicken cacciatore that I’ve used for years when my kids were at home, so this typically feeds about 6 people. With 3 sons most of my recipes tend to have an extra serving or two because they were active boys with healthy appetites. It is difficult sometimes to scale these recipes back, but this freezes really well and makes for a healthy filling lunch if you have access to a microwave.
Making Chicken Cacciatore Healthier
When converting this recipe I cut back the tomato paste and added in some blended okra to help thicken it up and cut the carbs back enough to allow for using this on top of cauliflower rice, Dreamfields or a couple other pasta options that I have listed below.
The Instant Pot that I use to make this Chicken Cacciatore
I really enjoy using my Instant Pot when I make this recipe. It cuts the cooking time from all day to under an hour including my prep work, which is such a blessing. Do you have an Instant Pot?
Chicken Cacciatore in the Crock Pot
I’ve included the Crock Pot directions in the printable recipe so that either way you are covered for the instructions that you need to make this Chicken Cacciatore. I rarely use my crock pot any more because my instant pot makes such short work of things in the kitchen, but it gets a work out during family functions and recipe testing. I have this 6qt programable one from Hamilton Beech.
I normally serve this over Dreamfields Pasta when i’m in a hurry. When time allows I do make pasta from this Homemade Pasta Dough, or Wonder Wraps from the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook (page 204-205) that I cut into strips to use as pasta (both of these are a Fuel Pull so they don’t add a significant amount of Carbs to the meal)
Here’s the Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- ½ cup onion (sliced)
- ½ cup celery (with leaves, cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 6 ounces tomato paste (1 can with garlic)
- ½ cup okra (blended)
- 1 cup water (or chicken broth, divided)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 pounds chicken pieces, I used boneless skinless breasts
- Place sliced onion in bottom of crock pot. Add chicken.
- Blend okra with ½ cup of water until liquefied. Stir together tomato paste, okra mixture, creole seasoning, pepper, garlic, herbs, and ½ cup of water or chicken broth. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours (HIGH 3 to 4 hours).
- Place your liner into your instant pot. Press Saute add 1-2 tsp coconut oil to liner along with chicken pieces, sear until pink in the middle. Add onion to liner with the chicken pieces. turn off saute function.
- Blend okra with ½ cup of water until liquified.Stir together tomato paste, okra mixture, creole seasoning, pepper, garlic, herbs, and ½ cup of water or chicken broth. Pour over chicken.
- Place lid on your Instant Pot. place vent into the sealing position and process on manual high for 15 minutes with 15 minutes of Natural Pressure Release.