Sugarless Faux Pineapple
So the other day, one of my lifelong friends posted about making some Faux Pineapple!
Oh did my mind start whirling about with that! Kathy You truly inspired this creation … Thank you!!
I would love to share her recipe with you however it isn’t friendly to those of us following Trim Healthy Mama, I had to tweak it to make it on plan.
She used Pineapple Juice and Splenda in this recipe from the USDA website. Which for those not following THM would probably work wonderfully.
However I’m trying not to spike my sugar with juices and I rarely use Splenda (unless I am cooking for those that will not/ cannot eat stevia, which Kath is one of those people)
So I swapped out the juice for some water…added my sweetener… added a bit of extract/flavoring and
YEP!! IT WORKED!!
Sugarless Faux Pineapple was born!
I can now make cakes and treats with something that tastes like pineapple without spiking my sugar and use cream cheese frosting to my heart’s content on those treats.
Can you say Hummingbird Cake!! Yeah Mama!!
- 4 quarts zucchini (peeled and grated)
- 46 ounces water
- 1½ cups lemon juice
- 1½ cups THM Gentle Sweet
- 2 teaspoons pineapple extract/flavoring
- Peel and grate zucchini. Set aside.
- Place Water, lemon juice, and gentle sweet into a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in zucchini and pineapple extract/flavoring.
- Allow mixture to sit for a minimum of 24 hours before use.
- Canning instructions:
- Ladle hot mixture into sterilized jars with ½" headspace, remove air pockets. Place lids and rings onto Jars and process in a hot water canner for 15 minutes. Allow to cool and store in cupboard for up to 6 months.
I love my hot water canning basket, like this one. It fits into my dutch oven and allows me to can small amounts to meet our family’s needs with sugarless jams, jellies, canned fruits and vegetables. This basket also fits in my instant pot and works great as a steamer and to hold eggs, radishes and other vegetables and it’s got a built-in handle which make it really easy to use!!