Simple Soda Bread
One of the things that I do every week as I’m preparing my foods is to bake bread. I had been using a low carb (s) recipe that required psyillium husks/oat fiber, flax, coconut flour and almond flour … it was quite the production to make 1-2 loaves for the week… Enter the new THM Baking Blend and this Simple Soda Bread.…
Soda bread is pretty easy to make… it uses baking soda and vinegar (things most of us already have in the kitchen) for leavening. Yeast breads will certainly rise higher than soda breads but they also take longer.
I did add a bit of oat fiber to the baking blend to help lighten it up a bit as flax, coconut and almond flours tend to be pretty heavy in baking. I’ve also found that I need a bit more eggs when using the new THM Baking Blend.
I also made a whole wheat sour dough loaf for my E meals. I posted that recipe here.
Back to the simple soda bread….
This easy recipe only took me about 10 minutes to measure and mix… it is a dense batter bread which means that it is kind of the texture of zucchini bread and not the light yeast breads that you buy in the store. You can do a lot with this though… adding a variety of things to change-up the flavors and tastes.
Here are some ideas:
Add 2 Tbs of dried herbs like:
- Italian seasonings
- Parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- shredded cheese
- Dried onions
- sweetener and cinnamon or apple pie spice
I do like this bread plain for sandwiches and it slices really well. I made some cottage toast with it for a lighter satisfying snack.
- Beat eggs until foamy.
- Stir in THM Baking Blend, Oat Fiber, Salt, Baking Soda until well combined.
- Add Apple Cider Vinegar and Greek Yogurt. Mix to combine.
- Place in a well greased loaf pan
- Bake at 300 for 45-60 minutes.
***One of the Mama’s and I have been working on some tweaks to this recipe…to make a bit lighter so that it will rise higher. I am going to include those tweaks here.*** Many Thanks to Brenda for her diligence and willingness to use her supplies to help make this a recipe that everyone enjoys
1. Baked at 350 for 50 minutes (If you use a smaller pan and bread is thicker you might have to bake up to 60 minutes)
2. Used 2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Used 1/4 cup oat fiber
4. Used 1/4 cup NOW brand whole psyllium husk
5. 2 tsp. THM Sweet Blend (optional, but very good and does not make it really sweet at all)
6. 1 /4 cup boiling water
7. Mixed the ingredients in a different order (see below)1. Preheating your oven to 350 is very important.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs till foamy
3. Thoroughly mix eggs, yogurt, vinegar and psyllium husk and let set to thicken
4. Meanwhile,in a medium bowl, whisk together THM Baking Blend, Oat Fiber, Salt, Baking Soda and Sweet Blend
5. Pour dry ingredients into egg, yogurt, pysllium mixture
6. Quickly mix till combined but not too long
7. Pour in 1/4 cup hot water and quickly mix just till combined
8. Quickly scoop out with a spatula into a in a well-greased loaf pan
9. Wet the spatula and smooth out the top.
10. Sprinkle lightly with sesame, sunflower or poppy seeds (optional)
11. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest about 5 minutes. If necessary, loosen edges from side of pan. Turnout on a cutting board. Slice and enjoy.
This post does contain amazon and other affiliate links. Your cost does not change if you decide to make a purchase through these links, however I do make a small commission. The commissions earned through these links allow me to maintain this site and continue my blogging activities.