Sourdough Pretzel Crackers are a great way to use your cast off sourdough starter!
I always hate dumping my cast off starter during a sourdough feeding, so I was searching for ways to use it that would be on plan in my own Trim Healthy Mama journey.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes. Your purchases bless our family and help to fund recipe development and the activities of this blog. Thank You!!
I stumbled across a recipe for making crackers with cast off starter using off plan ingredients in my recipe box and modified it into these Sourdough Pretzel Crackers.
The beauty of this recipe is that it requires no special ingredients since King Arthur sprouted wheat flour is now available in most Walmarts and other fine grocery stores.
Here’s a Neat Reader Tweak
Mary T. made these with 100% Whole Wheat flour and allowed the dough to ferment for 15 hours before rolling out and baking her crackers.
If you can’t find it on the self I’d ask at customer service, to see when they are going to stock it. Or check their site for a store near you.
Using a sourdough starter and sprouted flours means that you don’t have to let the dough ferment any longer than the 5-7 days that it takes for yeast to form within your starter culture. This recipe allows you to use the portion that you would normally discard when feeding your healthy sourdough culture thus cutting back on food waste. Don’t you just love when you lessen food waste?
I love my rimmed baking sheets like these.
They are a prized heirloom from my dad. These commercial grade baking sheets heat evenly and are the perfect size for making all my Trim and Healthy Treats!! If you don’t have some put them on that Christmas list!!
Sourdough Pretzel Crackers Recipe
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons egg whites, or 1 large
1 teaspoon water
1 tablespoon coarse salt, optional
Check out the recipe card for the directions.
Sourdough Pretzel Crackers Recipe Card
- Serves: 6
- Calories: 57
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Sodium: 1357mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- ½ cup sourdough starter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons egg whites (or 1 large)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt (optional)
- Mix together the flour, salt, sourdough starter and the olive oil until it forms a soft dough. ** SEE Note if using 100% Whole Wheat instead of Sprouted Wheat Flour.
- Shape and flatten the dough into a rectangular piece about ½ inch thick and wrap in plastic. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the baking soda wash by combining the baking soda and the boiling water and stirring to dissolve the soda. Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Roll the dough out on a piece of lightly floured parchment paper until it is 1/16 inch thick. Make sure the dough is of even thickness throughout
- Brush the dough thoroughly with the baking soda wash and let it sit for 2 minutes to absorb slightly
- Carefully turn the dough over on the parchment, using a rolling pin to help you, and spread out any wrinkles. Brush the 2nd side with the baking soda wash and let it sit another 2 minutes.
- Brush the dough with egg wash and liberally sprinkle it with the coarse salt.
- Use a knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough into squares. You do not need to separate them.
- Slide the parchment with the crackers on top onto a baking sheet.
- Bake the crackers for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Start checking the color at the 15 minute mark. If any of the crackers are getting too dark, just pull those few off of the sheet and continue to bake the rest.
- Bake until the crackers are evenly dark and crispy.