This sweet and spicy sugarless blueberry chutney is an awesome accompaniment to grilled chicken breasts, pork tenderloin and more!!
Adding this wonderful chutney to your energizing meal will help to rev your metabolism with the addition of red pepper and uses a secret ingredient to help stabilize your blood sugars.
How I Used a Secret Ingredient in this Sugarless Blueberry Chutney
When I start adding secret ingredients to things my husband normally gets a bit trepidatious. However, I used cactus leaves(you can also use okra) with some water to help thicken this sugarless blueberry chutney. Personally, I use a lot of cactus leaves when recipes call for okra, mainly because for me they are a bit more budget friendly and readily available. If you are lucky enough to find or have okra just go a head and use that. By pureeing the cactus with water it kind of just melted into the chutney and the blueberries hid the green color perfectly.
This post contains affiliate links for amazon and other programs. I do earn a small commission from purchases made through these links, however your price remains the same. Thank you for purchasing through these links as it allows me to continue blogging and blesses our family.
I’ve also used cactus leaves in these Acapulco Eggs which are a family favorite.
How Sugarless Blueberry Chutney works within my Trim Healthy Mama Lifestyle
Sometimes grilled chicken can be a bit dry, using this chutney as a condiment to dress your chicken adds a wonderful sweet heat. It also works great with pork tenderloin or turkey breast. It’s a great addition to a sandwich on sprouted breads or sourdough like this on plan Simple Sourdough that I make. You can use it on Bagels made from my Sprouted Wheat Dough; or mix it with a bit of Homemade Yogurt Cheese as a spread.
It has a lot of uses within your Trim Healthy Mama energizing meals. I’ve also topped pancakes with it.
One of the best parts of this recipe, it doesn’t require special ingredients, just your favorite on plan sweetener choice. We all love that.
Sugarless Blueberry Chutney Makes a great Gift for the Trim Healthy Mama in your life.
Being Mother’s Day weekend wouldn’t this be a great gift to give to your favorite Trim Healthy Mama? My mom would have loved this bottled into a canning jar and wrapped with a bit of ribbon. I miss her during these holidays, but she is still with me here on the blog and whenever God blesses me with recipe inspiration. So don’t forget this little gem of a recipe when Christmas rolls around again (wink).
I’ve blabbered enough! So here’s the Sugarless Blueberry Chutney Recipe.
- Serves: 50
- Serving size: 2 Tablespoons
- Calories: 8
- Carbohydrates: <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>4g</span>
- Sodium: <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>1mg</span>
- Fiber: trace
- Protein: trace
- Cholesterol: <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>0mg</span>
- 1 cup diced peeled tart apple
- ½ cup THM Super Sweet Blend
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup okra or cactus leaves, diced
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (1/4 to ½ teaspoon)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Puree okra and water in blender or food processor.
- In a medium nonreactive saucepan combine apple, sweetener, water, okra, orange extract, ginger, crushed red pepper and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until apple is tender, about 15 minutes. Add blueberries and vinegar; bring to a boil; boil uncovered, stirring frequently, until a sauce forms and thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.*