A One Balsamic Steak Sauce
With spring in the air and summer grilling season just around the corner… This A One Balsamic Steak Sauce is sure to be a staple ingredient around here!
Someone in the new THM Blogger Test Kitchen Group threw out a challenge for someone to come up with an A1 steak sauce replacement that used on plan ingredients … so yes I accepted that challenge since my children love to slather it all over steaks, pork chops and chicken.
If you haven’t checked out the new Test Kitchen Group on Facebook, stop on over there and see what all the buzz is about… and you can enter a $100 Trim Healthy Mama Gift Card Give Away too … you can read more about that in this blog post!
There are some really awesome bloggers involved over there and the recipes and links all show photos in the albums section of the group…it’s an amazing resource for following a Trim and Healthy Lifestyle!!
I asked a couple of the other bloggers and a few friends to try this A One Balsamic Steak Sauce recipe out and give me some feedback on it. They were so kind in all of this, it’s taken about a week to perfect it as well as to ensure that it wasn’t going to come in as a crossover because of the ingredients which always trump the numbers when following the Trim Healthy Mama Plan. This sauce is a FP in the nutritional values for 2 Tablespoons which is quite a bit per serving. However, it can cause a crossover if you use too much in a meal, so I would measure just to be on the safe side.
This is the ‘Gourmet’ version of the A One Balsamic Steak Sauce recipe
(I will be posting another version with some easier to find ingredients in the next day or so, and many thanks to Teresia from Nana’s Little Kitchen, Robin over at MamaShire and Jaque at RunAmok Mama for all your feedback and suggestions!)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- ¼ cup catsup (I used the THM one from the Cookbook)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon black-strap molasses
- 2 Tablespoons dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- 1 small orange (I used 1 cutie, cut in ½)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- Place water, vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, catsup, mustard, onion, molasses and cranberries into a sauce pot. Squeeze the juice from the orange into the pan add add in the two halves.
- Bring mixture to a boil; lower heat to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove Orange rinds and discard. Continue to simmer liquid for an additional 10 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a measuring cup or other container. use a spoon to push all the liquid out of the chunky pieces.
- Return sauce to pan and bring back to a simmer. Reduce sauce stirring occasionally, for an additional 5-7 minutes. Add salt, black pepper and cayenne whisk to combine.
My husband and son both loved this version of A One Balsamic Steak Sauce which says a lot since Rick eats on plan foods but Shane does not if he can help it (he has a bottle of A1 in the fridge, which he told me to throw out, since he will be using this from now on)
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!!