This retro Rhuby Cherry Delight is sure to get some attention when served to your family and friends.
I don’t remember a family get together be it a cookout or a holiday that didn’t include a gelatin salad like this Rhuby Cherry Delight. It is one of my favorite and fun recipes that brings back silly memories of my brothers and my sister.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes. Your purchases bless our family and help to fund recipe development and the activities of this blog. Thank You!!
Rhuby Cherry Delight, An Heirloom Recipe
The recipe for Rhuby Cherry Delight comes from my Grandma. Cherries were her favorite fruit and often served as a snack in a bowl. That doesn’t quite fit within my Trim Healthy Mama Journey although it can on occasion. I did change a few things, just because her’s called for boxed jello and heavy cream which would make this off plan because of the boxed jello.
The Ingredients, No Special Ingredients
You can use THM Just Gelatin or if like me you have knox gelatin on hand, it’s easy to make. You would just need to grab some Cherries, I used Bing Cherries that I got on sale. About 2 stalks of rhubarb, or you can use frozen. Some Cherry Berry Tea (This is my favorite in Good Girl Moonshine too). And some 0% Greek Yogurt (I like to use my Homemade Yogurt from My Instant Pot). Your favorite on plan sweetener.
Why This Rhuby Cherry Delight is Labeled as an E
Before sharing this recipe with all my fellow Trim Healthy Mama’s; I did check to make sure my labeling is correct. This gelatin salad falls into an Energizing side dish because of the Cherries.
I know, I know the “numbers” say differently but Mama remember “Food Freedom” — Don’t get tied up in the numbers!! If you really want the “why” please refer to your THM Plan Book on page 51 or under the “Meal Recap” found in your Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook.
Personally, I’ve enjoyed this as a snack with additional Cherries to bump up the healthy carbs and as dessert after a lighter E meal.
Does your Family Enjoy Gelatin Salads??
Rhuby Cherry Delight Recipe
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: ⅛th
- Calories: 43
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Sodium: 12mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- 2½ cups Cherry Berry Tea (divided)
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin(envelope)
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- ¼ cup THM Gentle Sweet or your favorite sweetener
- 2 cups cherries (pitted and chopped)
- 1 cup rhubarb (chopped)
- ½ cup 0% Greek Yogurt
- Reserve ½ cup of tea in a measuring cup. Add Gelatin to this ½ cup of tea and allow to bloom. approx 5 minutes
- Place cherries, rhubarb and 2 cups of tea into your blender or food processor, pulse until chunky.
- Transfer this mixture into a pan on the stove top and bring to a boil, allow to simmer for 8-10 min stirring occasionally until cherries pop and rhubarb is soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, add sweetener and stir until dissolved. Add bloomed gelatin and stir to combine.
- Add yogurt and stir well to combine. Pour into a lightly greased gelatin mold, or serving bowl.
- Place in refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Fill a bowl that the mold will fit into with luke warm water and dip mold into water for 10-15 seconds. Place serving platter over mold and flip. If salad doesn't release immediately, jiggle it a bit holding both the mold and the serving platter.