German Chocolate Pie -Sugarless
I made this Sugarless German Chocolate Pie for our 4th of July celebration.
I really wish my brother Mark lived a little bit closer as German Chocolate anything is his favorite, and his birthday happens to fall on July 5th. But it’s okay, because his significant other can grab the recipe and make this for him so that he knows I’m thinking of him.
This Sugarless German Chocolate pie is so creamy and indulgent that it makes for a great special occasion treat. I’m a firm believer that dishes like this are wonderful in moderation and to be enjoyed with family and friends.For those following a Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle this is a Heavy S treat which is why I say “in moderation”. Sure you could have this a couple of times a week and still be “on plan” however excessive heavy S meals and treats can also cause you to stall in your weight loss journey.
I always try to be honest about the healthy side of the recipes that I am posting and this one well it’s an indulgence, because my husband asked for pie and chocolate cream pie is my favorite.
And well German Chocolate Pie just sounded really good!
This pie doesn’t call for a bunch of specialty ingredients, you can should be able to find everything to make it in your local grocery store or have it on hand in your trim and healthy kitchen. I love when recipes don’t call for things I don’t have on hand.
I’ve been following the Trim Healthy Mama plan for close to 3 years now and have lost over 60 pounds as well as countless inches, yes I still have a ways to go but in all honesty I am enjoying the journey along the way. I turn 50 next month so indulging a bit in these kinds of treats gets me into a bit of trouble where I stall, but I am so much happier than before THM it’s incredible.
- ¼ cup butter
- 6 ounces baking chocolate
- ⅓ cup THM Super Sweet Blend
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 TablespoonTHM Just Gelatin, or unflavored gelatin powder
- 2 ounces water
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup Sugar Free Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup pecans (Chopped)
- For the Crust:
- Melt butter in microwave and allow to cool slightly. in a small bowl combine cocoa powder, almond flour, sweetener and whisk to combine. stir in melted butter . Press crust mixture into a pie plate, mine was a 9".
- Place in refrigerator until hardened.
- For the Filling:
- Melt the bakers chocolate in the microwave until creamy. In a heavy sauce pan place the butter, heavy cream and half and half, warm over low heat adding chocolate and stirring constantly to combine. Proof gelatin in water. Add a small amount of chocolate mixture to egg yolk and whisk to combine then add back into pan with the rest of the mixture and cook until creamy and thickened, add gelatin and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour mixture into prepared crust and chill for 2-3 hours or until set.
- For the Topping:
- In a heavy sauce pan or skillet, melt butter with sugar free brown sugar. Add heavy cream. add small amount to the egg yolks and then add into the sauce, whisking until combined and creamy. Stir in vanilla and coconut flakes. Allow to cool slightly. Top pie with topping mixture and sprinkle with pecans.
- Allow pie to set in fridge for 1-2 hours or until firm.