I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to work with Texas Brew Products in developing some recipes using their wonderful salsa.
This is a sponsored post, however the views and opinions contained are my own.
I’m excited about this Texas Brew Stuffed Cabbage Cake recipe. With fall in the air we seem to turn to comfort foods. One of my favorite comfort foods is stuffed cabbage, I really didn’t feel like taking the time to stuff and roll a bunch of cabbage rolls.
Instead I layered the classic ingredients with a hint of Honey Roasted Chipolte Salsa (medium heat) into a stuffed cabbage cake. This got a thumbs up from my husband, he went back for seconds.
The neat thing is that I made this compatible with my Trim Healthy Mama Lifestyle by using riced cauliflower and honestly the salsa does have a few off plan ingredients but if you live near a HEB you can use their Kale Salsa and be on plan without a problem.
Our family is loving the different varieties of Texas Brew Salsa, the kale being one of our families favorites!
If you don’t live near a store that carries their salsa you can order them from their website.
Back to the Stuffed Cabbage Cake…..
I chopped a bunch of onion and peppers and pan-fried them with a package of frozen cauliflower that I riced
In a different skillet I browned about 2 pounds of ground beef
Then I started combining everything. I mixed 1 1/2 pounds of browned ground beef with the cauliflower mixture, added 1/2 a jar of Texas Brew Honey Roasted Chipolte Salsa,2 eggs and 1 cup of fire roasted crushed tomatoes for the filling.
I lined my casserole dish with cabbage leaves make sure they overlap so that it holds the fillings inside. and put about 1/3 of the meat mixture on top of the cabbage leaves making sure that they remained layered on the sides of the dish….
then I added a layer of wilted cabbage leaves, a layer of meat mixture, another layer of cabbage leaves and more meat until the meat mixture was gone. Finally I added a layer of cabbage leaves tucking them into the ones that were lining the sides of the casserole dish.
I baked this for 30 minutes and then drained the grease out of the casserole pan and inverted my cake onto a serving platter.
I made a sauce with the remaining 1/2 jar of salsa, fire roasted tomatoes and ground beef, which we spooned over top of the cake. and sprinkled on some cheese.
- Serves: 1
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 435
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Unsaturated fat: 11g
- Trans fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 383mg
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 37g
- Cholesterol: 167mg
- 1 head of cabbage, cored and leaves separated
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced red and green peppers
- 1 package frozen cauliflower florets, riced
- 1 jar Texas Brew Salsa (your favorite flavor)
- 1 24 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- Core and wilt cabbage leaves until pliable
- brown ground beef, drain well
- saute cauliflower, onions, and peppers, combine with ground meat and allow to cool.
- Add 2 eggs to meat mixture.
- Layer cabbage leaves so that they overlap and cover the inside of a 3 quart casserole dish. Alternate meat mixture and layers of cabbage leaves.
- tuck cabbage leaves into the ones covering the casserole to secure filling.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. allow to cool slightly. drain excess grease if needed and invert cake onto a serving platter. Spoon additional meat sauce over the cake and sprinkle on the cheese.