This Apple Dumpling cake was a complete surprise in how easy it was to make as well as how spot on the taste profile is.
Apple Cake has always been a Fall favorite in our home. But it is difficult to find recipes that follow THM with those flavors that are not a crossover due to the fat needed in a cake as well as the apples.
Last year I made a “Zapple” pie with zucchini so I tried my family recipe substituting zucchini for the chopped apples and BAM!! This Apple Dumpling cake was born.
I taste tested this recipe with my step daughter (non THM)… son-in-law(non THM) and of course my husband. Everyone was thrilled with it and asking for more. One thing that makes this so great is that if you peel your zucchini it honestly looks and has the same texture as apples.
This Apple Dumpling cake does get a lot moister after it sits over night in the fridge, almost like a spoon bread instead of a cake. But wow is it good with a trimmy from the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook, or some bulletproof Coffee.
Heaven on a plate.
Here’s the Recipe for My Apple Dumpling Cake
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Sodium: 393mg
- Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- 2 cups THM Baking Blend
- 1 cup THM Oat Fiber
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- ½ cup butter (melted and cooled)
- ½ cup THM Gentle Sweet
- ½ cup Sugar Free Brown Sugar
- 3 whole eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1//2 cup 0% Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup almond milk
- 3 cups zucchini (diced fine)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray Cake pan with coconut oil or line with parchment. Set aside.
- Mix Butter,eggs and sweetener until combined. Stir Almond milk and water with the Yogurt.
- Sift all dry ingredients, except zucchini and nuts together and add to wet. Stir in zucchini and pecans
- Dump into a 13x9 pan and spread to edges or use a bundt pan like I did. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
The Bakeware that I love
One of the best investments that I have made in my Trim Healthy Mama baking journey has been to purchase silicone bake ware. I don’t have problems with cakes or pastries sticking in these pans so I highly recommend investing in them when you can.
I started with these pans from Sorbus and have expanded from there with a twinkie pan, donut pans and many more.