Beef & Cabbage Joes is one of those meals that is a staple in about every home. Quick and easy as you please this recipe is one that stands the test of time as a family favorite.
This post may contain affiliate links through amazon and other programs. I do earn a small commission when you purchase through these links, however your price will never change. The commissions earned are used to fund this blog and it’s activities, Thank you for blessing our family.
Sloppy Joes have been a staple within our home since my boys were small. They didn’t always eat them on hamburger buns, sometimes I shredded cabbage and served it over that so that it would stretch, especially when they were teenagers.
I now make these Beef & Cabbage Joes in jars so that my husband and I have meals that are both portable and easily heated on those busy nights.
When we serve these Cabbage Joes on buns, they are made from this Simple Soda Bread recipe or bread in a mug from the original Trim Healthy Mama Book.
Making Mealtime Easier with Cabbage Joes in a jar on those Busy Nights
What’s nice about making these Cabbage Joes as a Meal in a Jar is that it allows for natural portion control, makes dinnertime easy and painless which allows my husband and I to spend more time together enjoying outdoor activities.
If you are a busy family heading out the door for ball practice or just want to take these on a fun summertime picnic. Fix them up during your weekly meal prep, store in the fridge… ( you can bake with the bread during meal prep days and reheat in the microwave).
Reheat the jars after they have sat out for about 10 minutes, and pack them in a cooler with towels to insulate and keep them warm… Dinner or Lunch on the Go. When finished eating put the lids back on the jars and take them back home to wash and fill with your next healthy meal on the go!
If you need larger portion sizes than the pint jars allow, you can put this into a wide mouth quart jar, just leave enough room for the bread to expand while baking.
Simple Shortcuts When Making Cabbage Joes
If pressed for time when making Cabbage Joes, I normally will use 1 1/2 cups of this Homemade Seasoning Blend or a store-bought variety instead of the onion, peppers and celery and store-bought coleslaw mix. These simple shortcuts take this meal into one that can be made in about 20- 25 minutes start to finish. Who doesn’t love that?
Here’s the recipe for Beef and Cabbage Joes
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 1 sandwich/jar
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- ½ cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ⅓ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup okra, blended
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ¾ cup ketchup, I use the recipe from the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook page 482
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Cook and stir the meat, onion and celery in a large skillet until the meat is brown. Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the cabbage, green pepper, okra, ketchup, water, salt, and mustard and heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and cover. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture onto the bottom halves of the buns and top with the remaining halves.
- Fill a wide mouth pint jar with 1 to 1½ cups cabbage joe mixture. Place lids on jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Fill each pint jar with 1 cup of cabbage joe mixture, place ¼ cup simple soda bread dough on top of cabbage mixture and bake for 20 minutes. Allow Jars to cool and place lids on jars.
- Jars can be stored for up to 1 week in refrigerator after baking.