When I first started my THM journey I found that I was missing gum drop style candy you know like sour patch kids… gummy bears and worms…
So I challenged myself to making some at home, my kids always loved Jigglers so I have a bunch of molds from when they were at home. I was hoping they would curb my urge to snack without tandem fueling.
The first batch I made was a little squishy when I used 3 packets of gelatin which is equal to about 2 tablespoons. So I went searching some more and experimenting.
Gelatin is a wonderful ingredient that adds a protein boost as well as collagen and other nutrients that help with healthy hair, nail and skin growth.
Recently, I wanted to try the recipe that was available in the Trim Healthy Living, ezine but it wasn’t available due to technical issues. So searching again I ran across this version that includes sugar…
Part of the issue with using a sweetener like Pyure Organic Stevia is that they are mixed with erythritol and when that is concentrated it causes a weird cooling sensation, at least to me. This time I opted to use the sweet juice concentrate that I made. It worked beautifully!!!
I adapted the above recipe to make it sugar free and it fits within Fuel Pull guidelines for Trim Healthy Mama.
Here is the adapted recipe that I used:
Sugar Free Gum Drops
1 cup cold sweet juice concentrate
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp flavored extract like lemon or peppermint (I used strawberry)
1-2 drops food coloring
extra sweetener for coating or a combination of sweetener and citric acid for sour gummies
- In a large pot, soften gelatin in cold sweet juice concentrate for five minutes.
- Stir in boiling water until gelatin dissolves
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 25 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Pour mixture into 4 – 3X5 pans.
- Add 1/4 tsp extract and 1-2 drops food color to each pan.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Cover pan and chill overnight in the fridge.
- Cut gelatin mixture into 3/4 inch cubes using a knife dipped in hot water.
- The gelatin may pull, but continue cutting.
- Separate cubes and roll in sugar until coated on all sides.
- Place gumdrops on wax paper and leave at room temperature for two days to crystallize.
Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 8 dozen 3/4 inch gumdrops or 3 trays of jiggler molds.
This post contains affiliate links, while it is no extra cost to you, if you happen to make a purchase than we make a small profit. This helps keep the content of the blog free