This Cafe Chicken is a simple Crock pot or Instant pot meal that is a tummy pleaser.
Cafe chicken requires no special ingredients for Trim Healthy Mama’s and is great for diabetics and those following a low glycemic diet.
Served over some seasoned brown rice or quinoa it makes a wonderfully energizing meal. We really enjoy the Multigrain Medley from Minute Rice.
Over Cauli Rice it becomes low-fat and low carb allowing you to fill up on nutritious food that won’t impact your blood sugars negatively. Add a bit of coconut oil or Stir Fry that Cauli Rice and it becomes a Satisfying meal to feed your family.
“And when using Cauli rice Trim Healthy Mama’s can enjoy a slice of an on plan cheesecake like this Chocolate Cheesecake for dessert or grab a slice of Brownie Caramel Cake to make the meal oh so satisfying.”
I’ve listed three different methods for making this meal. Personally, I love making it in my Instant Pot Duo60 7 in 1 Multi Cooker. But I’ve also made this on the stove top and in a crock pot, just to make sure everyone can enjoy it.
I did make this video while preparing it in my Instant Pot, but Fair warning I am still learning how to produce video’s and this one is about 11 minutes long and pretty bad — please don’t feel that you have to watch it, but I would like to put it here if it can help someone.
The Printable Recipe for Cafe Chicken
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: ⅛th of recipe
- Calories: 148
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Sodium: 142mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 28g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- 1½ pounds bone less skin less chicken breast (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 teaspoons Basic BBQ Spice
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups bell pepper (cut in 1" pieces)
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (Italian style)
- ¼ cup low fat chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (halved)
- Xanthan gum or gluccie to thicken
- Place everything into your slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Using the Sauté feature, cook onion, bell pepper and garlic until crisp tender, add chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Select cancel; add tomatoes, chicken broth and mushrooms to liner.
- Place and lock lid into place, put vent into the sealing position and cook on manual high for 4 minutes. Allow to natural pressure release for 8-10 minutes (to ensure that chicken is all the way cooked).
- Sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic until crisp tender, add chicken pieces and cook until no longer pink. Add tomatoes, broth and mushrooms, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.