Olive Garden Style Chicken Gnocchi Soup
This Chicken Gnocchi Soup was absolute joy for lunch!! and it will make a great healthy dinner for our family.
Gnocchi is an easy pasta shape and a little bit goes a long way to satisfy those cravings. I used to make them with potato and white flour, but with the new Homemade Pasta Dough recipe that I posted I can make my own and even freeze some to have on hand for later.
This was about 1/3 of the dough recipe, these do puff up just a bit and you really don’t want to let them cook too long, so drop them in just before serving and they should be cooked enough and have the right texture without being slimy. I don’t know if they will hold up if you try to add everything and they sit in the broth. but the gnocchi will freeze well just make sure you put wax paper between the layers so that they don’t stick together horribly. When forming these you need to keep your hands wet and then wet the tines of the fork, they will dry up as they sit. Personally I like to wear gloves to do this because you get a film on your hands that just kind of feels weird if you don’t.
Jen from over at A Home With Purpose suggested that I THM- ify the Chicken Gnocchi soup from Olive Garden as it’s one of their family favorites.
Her hubby is now following THM, so hey the more family favorite recipes the better. GO Shan!! He’s been having some great successes you should go check out his progress!
I really hope that you all enjoy this Chicken and Gnocchi Soup as much as I did.
It’s got chunky chicken pieces, celery, spinach, carrots and I bet you could add a few radishes, mushrooms or zucchini to load it up with veggies if you want to. This Chicken Gnocchi Soup is creamy and filling and satisfies you until your next meal. Dairy free mama’s may want to use cashew milk instead of the half and half that is called for in the recipe and a bit of gluccie or xanthan gum really helps it to thicken up.
- 3 chicken breasts (cooked and diced (3 to 4))
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- ½ carrot (shredded)
- ½ onion (diced)
- 1 cup fresh spinach (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 16 ounces low carb gnocchi, made from this recipe
- Saute the onion, celery, garlic, carrot in oil over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken, chicken stock, half and half, salt and pepper, thyme. Heat to boiling, then add gnocchi. Gently boil for 4 minutes, then turn down to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- (Heat to boiling and add xanthan gum or glucci dissolved in 1-2 Tbsp water at this point if you want a thicker soup.).
- Ladle into bowls and serve!