These Italian Stuffed Artichokes will make a wonderful presentation at your next gathering. Easily prepared in your Instant Pot these stuffed artichokes are healthy and hearty.
This post does contain affiliate links through Amazon and other programs from which I do make a small commission. Your price does not change and your purchases through these links helps bless our family and allows me to continue blogging.
I love stuffed artichokes, they are a family tradition from when I was growing up. My grandma used to make these when we had a game night or on special occasions. She would serve them as appetizers because 1 stuffed artichoke can satisfy 1-2 people. If you have hearty eaters they may enjoy a full stuffed artichoke all by themself.
Aren’t these Italian Stuffed Artichokes Beautiful?
Health Benefits of Artichokes
Artichokes are surprisingly healthy, we don’t often hear about them or their health benefits, probably because traditionally they take a long while to cook and many people don’t know how to prepare them or how to eat them.
How to Eat an Artichoke
One thing that seems intimidating to many about artichokes is how in the world are you supposed to eat them. Artichokes are a finger food for sure. Prepared like these italian Stuffed Artichokes, you tear the leaves off (I normally start at the bottom) and scoop the filling then place the leaf in your mouth and scrape the filling off with your teeth and that releases the creamy goodness of the artichoke with your meat filling.
These are great paired with marinara sauce and any number of fillings. The way the petals fan allows you to stuff quite a bit of filling into each artichoke.
Here is the Italian Stuffed Artichokes Recipe
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: ¼ of recipe
- Calories: 242
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Sodium: 351mg
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- 2 whole artichokes
- ½ pound ground turkey (or beef)
- 1 cup seasoning blend (or this homemade blend)
- 6 ounces part skim milk mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 whole lemon (sliced)
- 1 cup water
- Rinse and clean artichokes, snipping the tip of each petal to remove the spiney tip. Slice off stem so that Artichokes will sit flat.
- Brown meat with seasoning blend. Set aside. Stir in ½ the cheese when cool.
- Place 1 cup of water in the inner liner, add lemon slices and rack. Place Artichokes on rack/trivet. Close lid, secure to sealing and process on manual high for 6 minutes. Quick release pressure and remove artichokes from Instant Pot with Tongs. Allow Artichokes to cool slightly. Fan leaves and remove choke from the inner portion of artichoke exposing the heart.
- Fill each artichoke with meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and place into a baking dish.
- Place baking dish in Instant pot and process for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Place 3-4 cup water in a 4 qt dutch oven with the lemon slices. Bring to a boil.
- Remove stem and leave tips from artichokes and place into boiling water with tongs. Allow to cook for 20-25 Minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove artichokes from water and allow to cool slightly. Remove inner choke.
- Fan leaves and fill with meat mixture. Sprinkle with Cheese.
- Place artichokes in a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees until heated through and cheese is melted about 15 Minutes.