Sugar Free Coconut Carrot Cake
With Easter fast approaching I needed to find a carrot cake recipe that would make my family happy as well as meet the needs of my Trim Healthy Mama journey. This Sugar Free Coconut Carrot Cake is a keeper for sure. It is studded with carrots and is moist with hints of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Topped with cream cheese icing and flaked coconut it mimics traditional carrot cake without all the sugars and starchy white flour.
This cake is a very satisfying treat so it will fit right into our (S)atisfying Easter dinner. Our grandson has been taste testing different versions for over a week now… it is one of his favorite snacks even without the frosting. This Sugar Free Coconut Carrot Cake makes 10 servings.
I know that most women following Trim Healthy Mama think carrots need to stay in an (E)nergizing setting but they are allowed within a satisfying meal in moderation. If you are uncomfortable calling this an S then please by all means eat it as a healthy crossover which is what our Easter meal will be I am sure. If you are curious about the Trim Healthy Mama Plan you can check out their website here. I have lost 50 pounds in a year and my health continues to thrive.
I had a little trouble developing this recipe for Sugar Free Coconut Carrot Cake. I had 2 different batches stick in my cake pans… it was so very frustrating. But it also showed me that God has a way of making you appreciate the talents that he gifts each of us with. I prayed a lot yesterday as everything seemed to be going wrong… and then the light bulb went off… God has a sense of humor… it was my April fools joke.. to be trying so hard and just have it keep “failing” … so I cleaned up my kitchen…made a yummy supper with this little trifle as a dessert from the messed up cake layers …
This post contains affiliate links, while it is no extra cost to you; if you happen to make a purchase then we make a small profit. This helps keep the content of this blog free.
I believe I am going to ask for these Wilton Performance Pans Round Pan Set for Mother’s Day.
And watched my husband snitch pieces every time he entered the kitchen… and the joke was on me…it was yummy I just needed to remember to put parchment paper in the bottom of my cake pans before baking with coconut flour….
I may double this recipe to make the cake a bit higher for Easter, but it is really filling just the way it is. The frosting recipe I used is pretty versatile and I used unsweetened coconut shreds over the sides for decoration. check out the products that I recommend at the bottom of this post.
Here is the recipe for Sugar Free Coconut Carrot Cake
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- ¼ cup Coconut Flour
- ½ cup Sweetener (if using THM Sweet Blend reduce to ⅓ cup)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Ginger
- ⅛ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Glucomannan Powder or xanthan gum
- 3 Large Eggs
- ½ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1½ cups Finely Grated Carrots
- 2 TBS Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 8oz block ⅓ fat Cream Cheese, Softened
- 3 TBS Sweetener, Powdered
- 3-4 TBS 0% Greek Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350^ F.
- Grease cake pans with coconut oil and place parchment paper into the bottom of the pans (THIS IS IMPORTANT).
- In a medium/large mixing bowl combine almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and glucomannan powder. Whisk to ensure there are no lumps and to incorporate air into the flours (you can also sift these ingredients).
- In a separate small mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, almond milk and vanilla.
- Combine wet into dry and beat with an electric mixer until well incorporated. Add grated carrots and coconut oil.
- Spoon the batter into lined cake pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Place softened cream cheese into a deep mixing bowl, beat on medium until creamy, add sweetener and yogurt and continue to blend until smooth.
This Makes 10 servings