Deciding to go low carb “ish” made life a little different in the snack arena. Gone were the salty crunchy pretzel sticks that I really love.. or so I thought … after a bit of experimentation these low carb pretzel dippers were born and have become one of our favorite go to snacks.
I tried something similar to these at one of our area Trim Healthy Mama meetings. Thanks so much to Caroline for the inspiration!! I dearly love my pretzels, not only plain but dipped in a variety of sauces and we especially love them with peanut butter. Rick is a die hard salty snack guy and was really excited to see this snack option open up to him. I love soft baked pretzels as well but that will be another post… 😉
Traditionally hard pretzels are prepared in a lye bath so that they get really hard. I have lye in my home (for soap making), but choose not to use it in cooking for personal reasons. Lye is a caustic soda and can cause some serious injuries if it is not handled properly … anytime I use it in soap making those utensils become “soap only” items.
Back to the pretzel dippers….
These are not quite as crunchy as store bought pretzel sticks but they do have a snap and a crunch that holds up to some of my favorite on plan dips like these…
Savory Dip Ideas
- I love them with Mrs Criddle’s Kitchen’s French Onion Dip as a snack
- This Caramelized Onion Party Dip is great with these low carb pretzel dippers
- You could up the number of pretzels to make a hearty S snack with this yummy 5-Ingredient Buffalo Chicken Salad from Briana Thomas
- Or with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, which helps to keep the calories down.
- I enjoy eating these with a sweet dip like this Chocolate Chunk one from Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen
- This wonderful cream cheese dip from Nana’s Little Kitchen would also make a yummy addition.
- Or just mixing up cream cheese with a bit of sweetener for something sweet and salty.
These low carb pretzel dippers make a great grab and go snack for lunches or the kids. I normally portion 8 low carb pretzel dippers into snack baggies with about 1-2 tablespoons of dip in these portion cups making it easy to grab on the run or pack into a cooler bag for lunch. For Mama’s like me following Trim Healthy Mama these are an S snack.
They are also great if having company or taking to a pot lick or picnic.
Low Carb Pretzel Dippers
- 2 Eggs
- 1½ cups almond flour/meal
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBS butter
- 2 TBS coconut flour
- 1 TBS egg whites
- coarse salt
- Beat two eggs in mixer bowl. Add the butter to combine.
- Mix almond flour and salt together. Add to wet ingredients and mix.
- Add coconut flour 1 TBS at a time. allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or parchment.
- Form dough into sticks and place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 350^ for 10 minutes. Flip pretzel sticks, apply egg wash or water and sprinkle with coarse salt. Return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.