We have a family tradition of fresh baked cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning in our home. Since my husband gifted me a NuWave Brio 3qt Air Fryer for our anniversary last week I figured I would give it a try. These awesome cinnamon rolls can be made in your oven or in your Air Fryer.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes. You can see my Full Disclosure here
About this Cinnamon Roll Recipe
I do want to let you know up front that these cinnamon rolls are “Personal Choice” if you are following the Trim Healthy Mama Plan. They contain vital wheat gluten as a primary “flour” which is not considered an “optimal ingredient” when cooking the THM way.
I can tell you from experience that I haven’t had much luck with the texture of cinnamon rolls made with the other on plan flours to this point (but that may change). Many mama’s are gluten free and that this recipe isn’t going to work for you (my sincere appologies).
I was working toward the texture of those cinnamon rolls that you pop out of the can and bake. I achieved that with this recipe. These cinnamon rolls do use yeast and will rise overnight.
Why I Used Vital Wheat Gluten
When you replace regular white flour with alternatives like I did in this recipe, you have to remember that the ingredients you use each have different characteristics. Bread doughs and sweet rolls like this don’t come together nor do they rise due to the lack of protein strands that are formed by gluten.
You can at times mimic them as in my Basic Low Carb Yeast Bread or these Mock Apple Fritters with things like xanthan gum, gluccomammon or psyillium husk. Even gelatin and collagen work. But to get the springy stretch and chewiness you need gluten. None of the alternatives have the same strength.
So for this recipe I used vital wheat gluten to keep our tradition alive and well (along with keeping my husband happy).
Making Cinnamon Rolls in My NuWave Brio 3qt Air Fryer
I really hesitated to purchase an Air Fryer, we already own this Oster Counter Top Convection Oven which I love. My husband had been asking me what I wanted for Christmas and our anniversarry, to which my answer was “I don’t know” I’m not good at asking for things for myself.
We had talked a while back about Air Fryers and that it might be neat t o have one for posts here on the blog as well as when we take our camper out along with my 6qt Instant Pot Duo. So when he came home with this NuWave Brio 3qt Air Fryer I was a pretty happy wife. It heats up quickly and evely bakes these cinnamon rolls in 8 minutes.
I’m looking forward to trying other recipes with this air fryer. Especially my Oven Roasted Okra.
Join Me in This THM Air Fryer Mama’s Group (Unofficial)
Where we can learn about using our Air Fryers together while following the Trim Healthy Mama Plan.
Air Fryer or Oven Baked Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1 roll
- Calories: 164
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Sodium: 33mg
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (warmed to about 90 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter (softened)
- ½ cup oat fiber
- ⅔ cup Golden flax meal
- 1¼ cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 teaspoons psyllium husks
- 2 tablespoons THM Super Sweet Blend (powdered)
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons Low Carb Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Place warm milk, yeast and honey into your mixing bowl. Allow yeast to proof for about 5 minutes.
- While yeast is proofing mix together the rest of the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- While mixing on low add eggs, vanilla and butter. Mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until a soft ball forms.
- Place dough ball between sheets of parchment and roll out to ¼" thickness.
- Spread butter onto rolled out dough, sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Roll dough from the long side, sealing the edge. Slice into 10 cinnamon rolls
- Allow Rolls to Rise for about 1 hour in a warm draft free place. They may take longer to rise if your home is on the cooler side.
- Place rolls cut side down into your pan and bake for 8-10 minutes in a 325 degree oven.
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 325 degrees. Place rolls cut side down into basket and bake for 8 minutes.
- You may have to do this in batches.