This one pot chicken ‘n olives is easily made in your Instant Pot or Crockpot. This family friendly recipe is one that my children enjoyed for many years and was easily converted to the Trim Healthy Mama plan or a low carb lifestyle.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes. Your purchases bless our family and help to fund recipe development and the activities of this blog. Thank You!!
Quick & Easy one pot meals are a must have in busy households. This recipe for one pot chicken ‘n Olives has been in our family since my kids were small. The leftovers are amazing over spaghetti squash or homemade pasta made from this Homemade Pasta Dough.
How To Make Chicken ‘n Olives
I start by gathering my ingredients, one thing to note is that this recipe can be made with fresh chicken chunks or a bag of frozen prepackaged chicken pieces that have been thawed in the fridge over night,
** A Note About Using Frozen Prepackaged Chicken Pieces.
I have made this recipe from frozen prepackaged chicken pieces, while nursing a broken wrist. Using this type of chicken adds the brining liquid making the sauce much thinner. It can also increase the time it takes for your Instant Pot to come to pressure.
I drain the liquid from the bag of thawed chicken pieces and give them a rinse under cold water. Set my Instant Pot to saute. When it gets hot I add 1-2 Tablespoons of chicken broth or water and add my chicken pieces searing them so that they don’t form those funky white flakes that happen when you skip this step. I remove the chicken pieces and then follow the recipe as written.
Secret For a Thicker Sauce
If you want a thicker sauce you can reserve 1/4 cup of the broth and blend it with 1/2 cup of okra and pour that over everything before setting your pot to pressure. For the crock pot,just blend it into the broth before adding to your crockpot.
Why I Cook Pasta Separately
Personally, we cook pasta’s, spaghetti squash, etc separately, so that they aren’t over cooked and can be rinsed before serving to remove added starches etc. The homemade pasta can be tossed in after and will warm through on the keep warm cycle of your pot.
One Pot Chicken ‘n Olives Recipe
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1¼ cup
- Calories: 213
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Sodium: 480mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- 3 pounds chicken pieces (cut into serving-size pieces)
- salt and pepper
- 1½ teaspoons garlic clove (minced)
- 2 cups onion (chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 8 ounces sliced mushroom (optional)
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Combine all ingredients except chicken and mushrooms in crockpot; stir well.
- Add chicken pieces and mushrooms, coating well; be sure all chicken is moistened.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 9 hours.
- Serve with steamed broccoli or Low Carb Pasta.
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Lighty season with salt and pepper.
- Combine all ingredients except chicken and mushrooms in the liner of your Instant Pot, stir well.
- Add Chicken pieces and mushrooms, coating wel; be sure all chicken is moistened.
- Place lid on your Instant Pot, place vent to sealing.
- Press Poultry function. Allow to Naturally Pressure Release when pot beep.
- Serve with Steamed Broccoli or Low Carb Pasta.
This is an S Meal for those following the Trim Healthy Mama Plan.