Smothered & Covered Pork Chops are a family favorite for many families. You don’t have to miss out on this staple comfort food any longer. My husband loves when I make these southern style pork chops and serve them with mashed cauliflower or mashed turnips for a wholesome filling meal.
This post may contain affiliate links to Amazon or other programs. I do earn a small commission from the sales made through these links; however your price never changes. You can see my Full Disclosure here
How I Make these Smothered & Covered Pork Chops
I have made pork chops like these smothered and covered with pan gravy since my boys were little. Mind you one of my boys doesn’t eat gravy ever, so for him he’d just grab the chop and his favorite vegetables, because I was lucky enough that they all liked vegetables. I would make these in the oven during that time in my life.
My Air Fryer just made these so much easier and quicker. While my chops are cooking in the Nuwave Brio Air Fryer, I make the pan gravy, steam some veggies and dinner is done lickety split.
About the Pan Gravy
The mushroom and onion pan gravy in this recipe is simple to make and requires no special ingredients or gadgets. You have the option of thickening your gravy with xanthan gum or gluccie, but you really don’t have too.
My husband asks me to make this gravy when we do hamburger steaks, chicken fried steak (yep that’s another recipe coming soon) and so he can have gravy over his mashed turnips or cauliflower. It went to another level of yum when I started using this Instant Pot Carmelized Cream. So if you have a chance you really should try it. My Instant pot is one of my favorite kitchen tools.
Do You Have a Favorite Kitchen Tool?
Are You A Sharing Person?
If you enjoy this recipe or any of the others that are here on the blog, I sure would appreciate if you would share them with your family and friends. Make sure you are following me on Facebook, Twitter, Flipboard, Google+ and Instagram to keep up with all the new and exciting things I will be posting in 2018.
Here’s a way to pin this awesome recipe!!
Smothered & Covered Pork Chops Recipe
- Serves: 3 servings
- Serving size: 1 chop + 3 TBS of Gravy
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 29g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 104mg
- 1 pound bone-in pork center rib chop
- 8 ounces mushroom pieces
- 1 cup onion, slice
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, I used this caramelized cream
- 1½ cups water (or chicken broth)
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- Season Chops with salt & pepper. Heat Air Fryer to 360.
- Place chops in the basket and cook for 15 min flipping at 7 minutes for even browning.
- In a large skillet ( I used my 10" cast Iron) melt 2 TBS of butter and saute onions until translucent, add mushrooms and garlic continuing to cook until soft.
- Deglaze pan with water or chicken stock.
- Whisk heavy cream into gravy. I used this Caramelized Cream
- Sprinkle xanthan gum across gravy whisking to incorporate. Allow gravy to thicken slightly (it will thicken more as it cools)
- Season with salt & pepper
- Brown Chops in Skillet and place in a casserole dish. Pour Gravy over Chops cover and bake for 20 -25 min.