Bacon Buffalo Chicken Casserole
This Bacon Buffalo Chicken Casserole is one of those family friendly dishes that takes no special ingredients for Trim Healthy Mama’s. It’s a great warm you up comfort food casserole that everyone loves.
This version is a bit lighter than some of the other ones that are out there, using healthy ingredients and packed full of veggies, it’s an easy peasy everyday dinner.
I normally don’t make this ahead because dairy doesn’t freeze well and this one is going to be a drive thru Sue favorite.
A “No Special Ingredients” THM Recipe
Our budget loves when I incorporate “no special ingredient” recipes into the rotation. This bacon buffalo chicken casserole helps stretch our grocery budget and makes enough for some left overs along with a healthy hearty dinner.
My husband enjoys taking leftovers with him for lunch while he’s at work, and I can warm it up for classic buffalo chicken flavors and a wonderfully filling lunch while I’m working at home.
Buffalo Chicken Recipes Are a Family Favorite
Most families have a “favorite” buffalo chicken recipe. With the price of wings going up so significantly over the last few years it just makes sense to use chicken that can be stretched to fit the budget in a more friendly way. We can normally get Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts for a reasonable price per pound.
I then prepare them in my Instant Pot, we also make Homemade Yogurt in My Instant Pot. You may be interested in my Meal Prep Monday- Instant Pot post to check out all the ways that hand appliance helps out in my kitchen. and makes my inner Drive Thru Sue sing!!
(This post does contain affiliate links. I do make a small commission on sales through these links but it does not change your cost and it blesses our family and allows me to continue my blogging adventures)
Why My Inner Drive Thru Sue Loves this Bacon Buffalo Chicken Casserole
Made with precooked chicken (think rotisserie, precooked chicken strips), frozen cauliflower florets, diced carrots, onions and celery (yes, they make all of these frozen as well), minced garlic from a jar… see where we are going here — Frank’s Hot Sauce or your favorite wing sauce (That’s on plan). Quick easy and budget friendly lunch/dinner.
The Bacon Buffalo Chicken Casserole Recipe:
- 1 pound cauliflower, frozen
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast half (shredded)
- 12 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup carrots (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (chopped)
- ¼ cup Hot sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot)
- ½ cup 0% Greek Yogurt
- 4 ounces cream cheese (or 3 wedges light laughing cow)
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1½ tablespoons Parmesan cheese (the green can kind is fine.)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- In a skillet sprayed with cooking spray add celery, carrot and onion over medium high heat. Cook until slightly softened. Add chicken ,mustard, garlic and 3 TBS of the hot sauce. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or small sauce pan combine yogurt, laughing cow wedges and 1 TBS of hot sauce. Either microwave for 30 seconds to melt and combine or melt together in the small sauce pan.
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray. Layer ½ the cauliflower in bottom of the pan... top with chicken mixture ... and another layer of cauliflower. Add the yogurt mixture to the pan in an even layer and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Bake at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.