This hearty Italian Sausage & Squash soup is a recipe that was handed down from my grandma. It is a family favorite in the fall and winter month
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 317
- Fat: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Sodium: 565mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- 1 pound italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 2 cups butternut squash (1/2" cubes)
- 1 cup cauliflower, frozen
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- ½ cup heavy cream, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (ground)
- ½ teaspoon THM Gentle Sweet
- 2 cups spinach leaves (packed)
- Brown Sausage and drain on paper towels
- Sweat onion and garlic in 1 olive oil until soft. Increase heat, add squash, cauliflower and pepper flakes. Saute for 5 minutes. Stir in broth and water, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until squash is very soft.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or in batches in your blender per manufactures directions for hot liquids. Add bell pepper, cream, sweetener, and simmer about 5 minutes or until peppers are tender. Stir in spinach and sausage, simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Using the saute feature saute onions and garlic in oil, add squash and pepper flakes, saute for about 5 min. Add broth and water.
- Place lid on IP and use the soup button, process until squash is soft. Allow pressure to release naturally and remove lid from IP.
- Puree squash mixture with an immersion blender and add bell pepper and sausage heat through, stir in cream and spinach and allow spinach to wilt.
Grandma used to serve this with crusty homemade bread slathered with butter and you never knew what vegetables she was going to add to make it stretch just a bit further. I did change this a bit as her recipe called for all butternut squash which would make this a healthy crossover if you are following a Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle.
Butternut squash is a tricky little bugger in THM as it is lower glycemic than some other squash but it is not considered a non starchy. So when I enjoy this soup I consider it an S helper since it does have a bit higher glycemic rating than soup made with just cauliflower.
I will say that even with all butternut this is a much better creamy soup than many of the store-bought varieties that people may purchase. It doesn’t spike my blood sugar, so we enjoy this often. I love adding some green beans to this to help with bulking it up so that Rick feels full and you could add a few radishes also just to change it into more of a stew than a soup.
I decided to make this in my Instant Pot on the soup setting because I hadn’t tried that out just yet. It came out great!!
If you own an Instant Pot Duo 60 like I do you should really give it a try.
This Italian Sausage & Squash soup is a great No Special Ingredients menu item if you use your favorite on plan sweetener. You can lower the fat content by using 0% Greek yogurt and shredded chicken breast meat also.
Do you have a favorite Fall recipe? I love to hear about what other families enjoy or how they make recipes like this into their own family favorites!!
We always appreciate when you purchase your Trim Healthy Mama Supplies through our affiliate link. Thank you!!
Here is an image to pin if you’d like.