Hearty Crockpot Irish Stew
With Saint Patrick’s day approaching and the chill still in the air, I decided to remake my grandma’s Stout Irish Stew recipe to fit with the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan.
This was one of my Dad’s favorite meals so I learned to make it when I was about 12. During the coldest parts of winter my children enjoyed this stew after sledding, snowmobiling or just building a snowman. It has a rich earthy flavor and is very filling.
I love using my crockpot for this recipe although grandma’s recipe calls for using a dutch oven. My crockpot doesn’t get as much use these days because our family size is smaller, I really need to invest in a smaller version so that I can plan some freezer meals like this one.
I had to figure out a substitute for the potatoes, cut back on the amount of carrots and pick up some beef stew meat as well as a 6 pack of Guinness Extra Stout. I actually had a hard time finding the stout, I had to go to 4 different stores before I found it. We rarely drink alcohol, so although I’ve lived here for a while it was an adventure to find.
I substituted radishes for the potatoes because I knew they would absorb all the wonderful flavors in this stew. I do normally add mushrooms but Shane won’t eat anything that has mushrooms in it, I left them out(this time)
I chose to use my dutch oven to bake this for about 6 hours at 275F, but you can put it into a crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serving size: 6
- Calories: 363
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Unsaturated fat: 8g
- Trans fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 674mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 52g
- Cholesterol: 150mg
- 2 pounds grass fed stew meat
- 1 TBS cooking oil, ( I use refined coconut)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 TBS chopped garlic
- 1 package red radishes
- 1 red and green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- ¼-1/2 bag of baby carrots
- 1 12oz bottle of Extra Stout beer (like Guinness)
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Xanthan gum (optional)
- Chop onion, peppers & garlic, wash and remove stems and tails from radishes.
- In a large skillet brown the stew meat in the cooking oil.
- Transfer to slow cooker, dutch oven or casserole dish.
- Place onions and garlic in the same pan, allow to become translucent, add 6 oz of Stout and deglaze the pan (getting all the meaty bits out of the pan)
- Pour Stout mixture over the beef. Add peppers, carrots and radishes to the beef mixture.
- Add remaining Stout and beef broth.
- Cook in slow cooker low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours until beef is tender.
- Bake at 300F for 3-4 hours until meat is tender. Thicken sauce with xanthan gum if that is your preference.
This post contains affiliate links, while it is no extra cost to you, if you happen to make a purchase then we make a small profit. This helps keep the content of this blog free.