I have a new casserole to add to my meal planning, this awesome Tex Mex Kale Casserole!! Our wonderful friends over at Texas Brew Salsa, have this great Fire Roasted Kale Salsa that is a family favorite here and a bunch of others as well.
**Just to get the legal stuff out of the way this is a sponsored post, I received this salsa at no cost for a fair and honest review as well as a recipe or two (okay maybe 10… just because it’s just that good) **. The thoughts and comments within this post are my own.
I used to make this as a cornbread casserole with my kids when they were little. Using processed cornbread mix and random taco meat. But all that has changed as I continue to follow Trim Healthy Mama and journey into better health.
The only ‘special ingredient’ in this Tex Mex Kale Casserole is the THM Baking Blend.
You can grab a jar of Texas Brew Fire Roasted Kale Salsa at any HEB with a Cooking Connection, or contact Texas Brew for ordering details. They are pretty awesome people and get your orders to you quickly!
You can also sub Texas Brew Fire Roasted Poblano Salsa in this Tex Mex Kale Casserole,sub poblano peppers and add 1-2 cups of kale along with it for a great change-up.
We all really enjoyed this Tex Mex Kale Casserole, for Shane it was a reminder of his youth and dinners that he is familiar with. It would make a great addition to any Cinco De Mayo celebration. It freezes well and you can reheat in a minute or two in the microwave.
This is an S meal when you pair it with a salad and some for those following the Trim Healthy Mama plan like me.
- Serves: 6
- Calories: 407
- Fat: 29g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Sodium: 665mg
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 23g
- Cholesterol: 213mg
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup bell pepper (I used an orange one, 1chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 16 ounce jar Texas Brew Fire Roasted Kale Salsa (or Texas Brew Fire Roasted Poblano Salsa)
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- ⅜ cup egg (2 whole)
- 1 cup black beans, canned (drained)
- 2 cups shredded Co-Jack cheese
- ¾ cup THM Baking Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅜ cup eggs (2 whole)
- ½ cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper.
- Saute onion slices and peppers until tender crisp, add ground beef, chili powder, salt and pepper. Brown ground beef and drain.
- Combine ground beef with Texas Brew Kale Salsa and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in mayonnaise, eggs, black beans and shredded cheese. Layer in the bottom of the pan.
- Mix THM baking Blend, baking powder, salt, eggs and almond milk until smooth.
- Drop spoonfuls of biscuit dough on top of meat mixture and bake for 45 minutes at 350.
I’d love if you would take a minute and go visit our friends over at Texas Brew Salsas and see all of their great products!!