When I was little we would go to Kansas every summer to visit my Grandma. It was quite the trip to pack our family into a 1970’s Volkswagen Bus. One of my fondest memories of those trips was making ice cream in my grandma’s old fashioned ice cream freezer. You had to hand crank it. Like this one.
So we all took turns and laughed a lot. Changing my lifestyle over to Trim Healthy Mama has made traditional ice cream off limits, but I don’t have to miss out and neither do you!! This Cottage Style Chocolate Ice Cream will sure hit the spot on those hot summer days and nights.
I never really thought about making ice cream without milk, cream and sugar but wow this recipe is a yummy replacement for that. Made with fat free cottage cheese and a few other ingredients it not only feels like an indulgence, it tastes like one too. Cottage cheese is a great source of protein so it helps to blunt blood sugar spikes, and by using a Stevia Blend it becomes diabetic friendly.
I am so glad that we invested in this Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker
Back to Cottage Style Chocolate Ice Cream
This is such a simple recipe. It is low fat, low carb and sugar free. What more could we ask for…
Creamy, Dreamy and Healthy all rolled into one.
I know that Carb Smart ice cream from Breyer’s is an on plan store bought option, but honestly this cottage style chocolate ice cream blows that and the So Delicious varieties out of the water for taste and texture. It is much more economical to make this ice cream than to pay the price for those “Drive thru Sue” options and your serving size can be slightly larger. This recipe is a Fuel Pull as written with an S option if you use of full fat cottage cheese as well as the 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/2 almond milk and 1/2 heavy cream (thanks Amanda from Counting All Joy )
- Serving size: ½ Cup
- Calories: 153
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Unsaturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Sodium: 425mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- 1 cup of cottage cheese (I used 1%)
- ½ tsp coffee extract
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 TBS Hershey's Dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup carton egg whites
- 3 TBS Trim Healthy Mama, Sweet Blend
- ½ cup almond milk or ½ and ½
- 1 TBS glycerin (to keep ice cream soft)
- 1 TBS vodka (to keep ice cream creamy without icing up)
- Place all ingredients into blender, process for 3-5 minutes until creamy and cottage cheese is smooth.
- Pour into ice cream freezer and process for 20 minutes, ice cream will be soft serve consistency either serve immediately or place in freezer for up to 2 hours without added glycerin or vodka, after this it will become very hard and will need to be defrosted slightly to be scoopable.
Vodka eliminates the iciness from stored ice cream and glycerin adds sweetness and softness to the ice cream.
I’ve been known to top this with:
Fat Free Redi Whip (FP)
Toasted Coconut (S)
Melted Peanut Butter (S)
Skinny Chocolate (S)
This post contains amazon and other affiliate links, while it is no extra cost to you; if you happen to make a purchase then we make a small profit. This helps keep the content of this blog free.