Sugar Free Sweet and Smokey BBQ Chicken
After living in the south for many years I find that we like sweet and smokey BBQ chicken more than ever. With both Rick and I being type 2 diabetic we needed it to be Sugar Free also… The bonus with making it in the crock pot is that the breasts just fall apart and it becomes shredded without too much hassle.
I used boneless skinless breasts in this recipe so that it could be used as an Energizing meal if you wanted to make buns from my Sprouted Wheat Dough. You could also use Simple Soda Bread as a bun (bake it in a twinkie pan or microwave it in the top of a butter dish) and pile on the sweet and smokey bbq chicken.
I made up some Broccoli Slaw from The Coers Family to go along with this which is amazing as part of a sandwich or as a wrap!! Adding this makes this a satisfying meal for those following Trim Healthy Mama.
- 8 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 8 oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 8 oz Can of Water
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Prepared Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Teaspoon of Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Oregano
- 3 Tablespoons Onion, Chopped
- Place Chicken into a 3-4 quart crockpot, try not to overlap the chicken as much as possible.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook (on low 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours).
- To Thicken Sauce: Remove lid for the last hour of cooking time.
I found this recipe in a Fix-It and Forget-It cookbook that I inherited from my parents, it has so many lower fat and lighter meals in it. I’m sure I will be converting many more to fit within my trim and healthy lifestyle.
Some of the products I recommend to make
Sweet and Smokey BBQ Chicken:
As always if you are in need of Trim Healthy Mama Products you can use our affiliate link. THANK YOU!!